Business Structure Advice
Business Start Ups
- Helping you with with the 'how', 'when' and 'why' to start your business.
- Advice in starting up a business including the set-up of various entities and preparing registrations as required.
See our blog on Starting a Business: Get the Right Advice
- While ill fortune is virtually impossible to predict and some risks are difficult to avoid, planning ahead begins with a realistic assessment of risks you might face, and then designing strategies to minimise these risks.
- Advice to protect business assets from risk, such as business failure or litigation.
- Determining the right business structure for your circumstances.
- Your exit strategy from the business. For instance, passing your business on to your family or employees.
- Investigation of a business prior to purchasing it.
Business Structure Advice: A Case Study
- Sole trader running a consultancy business
- Married with two kids
- Wife works in the business
- Owns 100% of home (in his name)
- Owns a boat (in his name)
- Owns a car (in his name)
How John Alam & Partners helped…
We opened Deon’s eyes to the risks involved in operating a business under the current structure. After multiple conversations, we were able to show that he was exposed to a great deal of business risk which put his personal assets in jeopardy and that this risk would have a devastating financial impact on his family and his ability to provide for them.
We restructured his business to ensure his personal assets were better protected and his exposure to business risk was minimised.
Two years later, the business went into financial hardship following the loss of a big customer and could not repay its debts on time. The business sold any assets it had to pay off debt, but unfortunately had to close as the debts could not fully be repaid. Despite this, Deon was able to keep the family home.
Name changed to protect privacy.